Thursday, February 20, 2014

Empties #1: Autumn and Winter Health and Body


Three cheers for my first empties post! I've been hoarding these babies inconsistently for months (seriously, a lot of stuff has fallen through the cracks). Here's a peek at what I've managed to save from fall and winter. I don't go through a lot of products because I was raised on a "make it last!" mentality. When I see other blog posts churning out empties posts all the time I feel a little underwhelming. Regardless, here is a taste of what I've been using the past six months. Click on for my thoughts on the products I've used up...



Pictured left to right: Dove Firming Nourishing Lotion, The Body Shop Honeymania Body Butter, Temple Spa Peace Be Still Face & Body Balm
Body Care: 

Dove Firming Nourishing Lotion, 250 ml (£2.66): This was a good, light alternative to most of the lotions I own. It was nice, but I don't believe it lives up to its elasticity claims. It did sink in quickly and leave my skin moisturized. Sometimes it would pill but I'm not sure why. Probably won't repurchase because I'm a lotion addict. If you do need a cheap lotion this is fine.

The Body Shop Honeymania Body Butter, 200 ml (£13.00): Believe it or not, this was my first ever Body Shop body butter. Wow. I've discovered a whole new world. I just usually shy away from thick body products but I was intrigued by the smell after it first came out and I tested it in-store. This was SO hydrating for my skin, but best used at night as it just never seems to dry down. The smell is amazing, a very truly honey smell, not too sugary, with a hint of floral. I own the eau de toilette and it's really nice. I might repurchase in the future, but I'd like to try other scents and this one can get a bit too sweet. 

Temple Spa Peace Be Still Face & Body Balm, 50ml (RRP £18.00 for 200ml): This was not a purchase, but a complimentary hotel toiletry from my New Year's Eve stay in London. I have never heard of Temple Spa before, but I think this is a great lotion. It was very moisturizing, not too thick, and had a nice scent. I did feel that the scent was overpowering by the end of the bottle, but that's a personal preference. I never used this as a face lotion, so I can't attest to its efficacy there, but I would shy away from using it on the face if you are sensitive to fragrance as it is quite scented. I probably won't repurchase due to it's price, but it's really nice overall and I'm keen to learn more about the brand. 


Pictured left to right: Bath & Body Works California Poppy Anti-Bacterial Hand Gel, Boots Moisturizing Nail Polish Remover Pads, Bath & Body Works Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin Anti-Bacterial Hand Gel
Hand Care: 

Bath & Body Works California Poppy Anti-Bacterial Hand Gel (CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE), 29 ml ($1.75 or 5 for $5): Full disclosure: I worked at Bath & Body Works for a year. I believe I got this as a seasonal staff uniform item, but I may have purchased it on my own. I love these because while I know they are not good for your skin (no hand sanitizer with alcohol is), they smell great and seem to not dry my hands out as much as other hand sanitizers. This scent is really addicting, watch for this scent to come back again in spring and summer, because it's SO nice. 

Boots Moisturizing Nail Polish Remover Pads, 15 (£1.50): I bought these in the fall when I ran out of Target's Up & Up Nail Polish Remover Pads. I prefer pads over the traditional cotton ball and liquid remover because it simply saves space I love the formula, but I wish the pads themselves were a bit thicker. My nails and cuticles are SO hydrated after using this, and I like to rub my hands together to circulate the oils after use. I even took a tin home for my Mom to use and have purchased another one.

Bath & Body Works Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin Anti-Bacterial Hand Gel (CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE), 29 ml ($1.75 or 5 for $5): I love the smell of this stuff. Again this was a part of my seasonal BBW uniform. I would put this on in class after lunch and got SO many compliments, people really noticed when I pulled this stuff out because there was a sudden smell of amazing sweet cinnamon-y-ness. I'm sad it's gone! Again, be on the lookout for this scent in summer and fall, it always comes back. They do still have Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin Wallflower Refills on sale here for $6 (regularly $12.50 for a two-pack). 

Pictured left to right: Oral-B 3D White Enamel Protect Toothpaste, Degree Ultra Clear Antiperspirant in Pure Clean, Colgate Plax Sensitive Alcohol-Free Mouthwash
Health Care: 

Okay, I know it's probably weird to include this stuff in an empties post, but whenever I see other empties posts include stuff like deodorant and toothpaste it's nice to remember that we're all real people who need to brush our teeth. So without further ado: 

Oral-B 3D White Enamel Protect Toothpaste 75 ml (£3.49): I obviously kind of liked this stuff since I went through two tubes of it! I have sensitive teeth, so most whitening products freak me out but this one was fine. I think that this would probably work better for me in the states where we have fluoride in our water, because overall I have noticed a yellowing of my teeth since I've moved to England that even this stuff couldn't prevent. I didn't repurchase, but I did buy a whitening toothpaste for sensitive enamel by another brand. We'll see. 

Degree Ultra Clear Antiperspirant in Pure Clean, 2.6 oz (£3.62): I LOVE the smell of this stuff, but unfortunately I'm a sweaty person and this just ends up smell-staining the pits on my clothes. TMI? Whatever. You should know! I've switched to an unscented deodorant and I find it much better for my clothes and put on perfume instead if I need a pick-me-up scent-wise. I still like this stuff when I'm anticipating a sweaty day, but I haven't repurchased because it isn't sold in the UK. 
Colgate Plax Sensitive Alcohol-Free Mouthwash, 500 ml (£1.65): Dear readers, please don't use mouthwash with alcohol in it. Alcohol actually dries your mouth out and gives you worse breath than before. Think hangover breath. Yeah. This stuff is great for sensitive teeth, tastes okay, and doesn't leave my mouth feeling weird like my current one by Colgate does. I'm going to repurchase after I use up my current one because it's just a nice mouthwash. 

That's it for my autumn and winter health and body empties! Look out for makeup and skincare empties coming soon :) 

xoxo, Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment